Thursday, June 21, 2007

If We’re Not Actively Surviving, We’re Passively Dying!

The above title is profound, to say the least. I wish I could claim its authorship, but I cannot. My friend and co-writer Ori Hofmekler came up with this philosophical quote. He applies it to fitness, health and nutrition. Over the past couple of years, I've adopted the philosophy for myself as well, but not only in terms of health, fitness and nutrition, but also to the spiritual side of my life. Being a minister and Christian myself, I find that the concept is actually quite biblical as well.

The apostle Paul wrote in Philippians to " . . . work out our salvation with fear and trembling . . ."

Our faith walk with God is a daily, hourly, and sometimes moment by moment pursuit to be, do, act, respond and advance as Christ would want. In the midst of my life relationships, I find that we all have challenges, struggles and issues through which we all must navigate. The question is who is doing the navigating? Do we aimlessly wander through life without an "active" pursuit to survive these difficulties? Do we leave our circumstances to some unknown fate, with no clear direction as to where we're going?

I know that in my life, I choose to take the higher road – one which is directed by the teachings of Christ – Who understood the temptations and pains of being human, yet also being God, always made the right choices. He understood that just as silver and gold are only purified by fire, so are our lives refined, by the fire of trials and struggle.

The thing we must constantly remind ourselves is that it's a daily choice – to endure the trial – holding true to our convictions, because we know they are right – because we know that the rules by which our lives should be governed, are what God has stated are true. They are what God has determined will help us survive, to flourish and to have ultimate victory.

Let's determine to keep our eyes on the prize, knowing full well that as we choose to actively survive, that we'll soon cross that chasm of pain, discomfort and despair – only to find ourselves much better off when we arrive on the other side.

No comments: